Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A blur of Weaver birds




Ok - I lied when I said that entries will revolve around ONE picture! A "murder" of crows, a "skein" of geese, and I propose a "blur" of Black-breasted Weaver Birds! These weaver birds are less famous than their close cousin Baya Weaver, which is the more commonly discussed species. The Black-breasted Weavers in Uttar Pradesh congregate in very impressive flocks in summer following the growing-up of the young birds of the year. In Jaunpur I "met" one such flock - easily 2000 strong - by being literally blocked by them as they crossed over the road. Farmers tilling the soil had little effect on the flock that was on a feeding frenzy. They are mostly seed-eaters, but it was impossible not to think "Hitchcock" when the flock took off at one point and flew at me! I suspect that the reedbeds formed along the increasing irrigation canal network is helping this species. (Photographs date: Apr 29, 2009)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second photo where the birds are flying towards you. Can even see the bright yellow cap on a few birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Blur of Weaver Birds - love it!

    ReplyDelete